Arranging Your Outdoor Furniture
July 10, 2020
Unless you’re a professional designer, arranging furniture can be a challenge. Arranging furniture outdoors? That’s another ballgame altogether.
But don’t worry – with a few simple tricks, you can master your patio or deck arrangement and be all set for year-round outdoor fun.
- Grab some paper and a pencil. No, really. This doesn’t have to be a scale drawing, but a decent sketch of the area will help you develop a good plan.
- Think about the purpose of the area you’re considering. Is it a dining area? A conversation space? A front porch people watching spot? The purpose of the area will obviously dictate the type of furniture you purchase, and how you arrange it.
- Choose your focal point. Just like designing an indoor space, outdoor spaces need focal points! An outdoor fireplace, a swimming pool, a hot tub, a pergola, or another architectural element can serve as the focal point – as can a view!
- Think about traffic flow. Arrange your furniture so that people will be able to walk comfortably around and through the set up. Make sure people won’t be tripping over tables – or each other – as they maneuver to a seat. Also, ensure the main traffic flow (for example: from the pool to the patio door) goes around the seating area and not through it.
- If you’re furnishing a large outdoor area, break it up into smaller sections with furniture groupings. Establish an area for outdoor dining, and a separate area for relaxation and conversation. Comfortable furniture is the key to ensuring said pieces don’t turn into expensive, large yard ornaments!
- Don’t forget the accessories. Complete your outdoor area with cushions, accent pillows and rugs made from sturdy outdoor fabrics. Add greenery with potted plants, and include decorative outdoor lighting.
With a little planning and the right furniture pieces, you can maximize the style, comfort, and ultimately the communal time your family and friends will enjoy together!